Monday, June 16, 2008

somethin' coo

about not having much to do, is I get a chance to blog a little more often. not that these are quality blogs -_- but i think that just the prospect of having this time to be with myself and really just reflect on my day to day is whats nice.

So today, I woke up to the usual breakfast; brown sugar oatmeal with a serving of whey protein. Ran some errands, came back and did some reading. And then i took a nap -_- i've been so tired lately its weird. Aaanyway. Woke up from the nap, made myself an spinach and provolone cheese omlette with Eggbeaters. Yo, that stuff is pretty amazing for not being all egg.

Thennn, went to the gym. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN! i know right? Mann. Ran a mile, upper body circuit, situps, then played an hour of bball. And i was dyingggggg. And hopefully I'll be doin' this everyday (: and come back a new man. kinda.




So now that i've thoroughly bored you with a play-by-play of my day, I wanna talk about the book I'm reading.

So some of you know this, but Fight Club is one of my favorite movies. And its actually based on the book Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. I've read that and a few others by him which have all been great. Right now I'm reading Stranger Than Fiction, which has nothing to do with the Will Ferrel movie btw.

It's basically a collection of wild stories, some about him, and others about others. If anyone remembers fight club, the beginning of the movie shows Edward Norton going around to multiple support groups for diseases he doesn't have so that he can add some kind of validation to his life.

This idea of the character came about because Palahniuk used to work at a hospice, in which he drove elderly people to support groups for their respective terminal illnesses. People always assumed he was in the same boat, and he stormed up the idea for fight club.

So Stranger Than Fiction is basically a collection of stories he's heard from people, or his experiences. He said in his foreward that he would call up phone sex numbers and ask the chick to tell him her craziest experience, and he would get these elaborate concoctions that seemed borderline impossible, but the raw emotion that would arise as these people told there stories made him think that either they were the best story tellers ever or that they just experienced insane events; either way he felt the stories were worthy of retelling.



So if I haven't bored you by now, I wanna read a quote from one of his stories that I really liked. This is about how so many writers tell stories of their lives to make it in the industry as if it was for their salvation. This is actually a quote from a philosopher by the name of Martin Heidegger:

"...human beings tend to look at the world as standing stock of material ready for us to use. As inventory to be processed into something more valuable. Trees into wood. Animals into meat. He called this world of raw natural resources: bestand.

It seems inevitable that peope without acess to natural bestand such as oil wells or diamond minds, that they'd turn into the only inventory they do have--their lives.

More and more the bestand of our era is our own intellectual property. Our ideas. Our life stories. Our experience."

I think the prospect of us using our experiences as our valuable natural resources is brilliant. I suppose thats why I enjoy writing spoken word so much. Maybe its because I feel like its the one valuable thing that I have an abundance of.

And thats enough thinking for tonight. I think 2 people will have read this far anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting stuff Hideki. I know that you will be making a difference out there, even if you don't see it right away. Enjoy this adventure and have some fun out there on the EC...but not any of that $4 fun ;)

Love ya!
Rockin' Rachael